If your father is anything like mine, when it comes to choosing desserts, ice creams or sweets, chocolate is above all the most important ingredient. It doesn’t matter how gourmet, how expensive or how special something is, plain chocolate will always trump! In my household, majority of which are women, sweets are always baked with things such as raspberries, dates, walnuts or seeds, so I must always remember what my Dad likes! Ultimately, it’s round, crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and jam-packed with chocolate!
After making these for my own Dad (and having great feedback), a friend asked me to make them for their Dad’s upcoming birthday. Without hesitation, I stocked up ingredients and began thinking of ways to wrap it. I had so much fun making these, as I do whenever I bake things for friend’s birthdays, mainly because they are so grateful and excited when they receive them. I ended up placing them in a tall glass jar with a ribbon around it and when I gave it to him, his face was remarkable. It felt great!
So surprise your Dad with a batch of these cookies, and if you can’t make them today, plan to make them for his birthday or Fathers Day! Plus they turn out great every time so you won’t have to keep testing new recipes for better results. It’s the only chocolate chip cookie recipe you need!
PLEASE NOTE: You can certainly make these for yourself or for anyone else. They are not just for fathers! He will probably just appreciate them the most!
Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies
– INGREDIENTS –
2 cups + 2 tablespoons Plain Flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder, sifted
175 grams Butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 large Egg
1 large Egg Yolk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
2 cups Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate buttons, roughly chopped
– METHOD –
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 2-3 trays with baking paper. I like to melt my butter at this stage so by the time I need it, the temperature is perfect.
2. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa in a medium bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and both sugars until pale and creamy. This takes about 8-10 minutes of constant beating.
4. Add the egg, the egg yolk and vanilla essence. Mix with the beaters until well combined.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add the chocolate chips and mix until all ingredients are incorporated well.
6. Place the dough in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes! This helps keep the cookies thick and chewy in the middle when baking.
7. Remove half of the dough, leaving the remaining dough in the freezer. Roll the dough into balls ( I weighed mine to 40 grams for medium size and 70 grams for cafe style!). Place the balls on the lined trays, allowing plenty of room to spread out, and flatten them down about half way.
8. Bake the cookies in the over for about 10-12 minutes, until the edges are firm and browning. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
The best result is crunchy outside and chewy inside! If your cookies are tough all the way through, you’ve left them in the oven slightly too long!
I hope he likes them! : )