Introducing my first savoury recipe..
Cauliflower Fried Rice!
Like all of my recipes, this one not difficult and took no more than 15 minutes. It is a great way to squeeze in extra vegetables and is suitable for those fussy non-rice eaters! Like minestrone (known as ‘health in a bowl’) it is literally a bowl full of veggies and you can eat as much of it as you want without suffering from a carb coma. It doesn’t require many pans or utensils, so clean up is a breeze as well! Be sure to wash all of your veggies before you start!
– INGREDIENTS –
1 large Cauliflower Head, trimmed and broken into large chunks
2 small Brown Onions, finely diced
2 small Garlic Cloves, finely diced
2 large Eggs, beaten
1 large Carrot, diced
1 can Sweet Corn Kernels, drained
1 cup Frozen Peas
*Please Note: There are no set quantities! You can add as many vegetables or use as much cauliflower as you like. These quantities will happily feed 4 people, but you will be wishing you made more!!!
– METHOD –
1. Using a kitchen grater, shred the cauliflower into rice sized pieces. The cauliflower does not have to be boiled or steamed beforehand, just grate it raw!
2. Heat oil in a wok (or large pan). Add chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes on medium-low heat until soft and translucent.
4. Splash in a bit of soy sauce (About 1.5 tablespoons) into the pan and stir in. Be careful not to over-do the soy sauce. It is best to under-do it and have people add more into their own bowls. Reduce pan heat to low and allow the cauliflower to ‘fry’ to 2-3 minutes.
5. In a separate pan, make an omelette with your two eggs. To do this, heat oil in the pan and pour in the whisked eggs. Spread the mixture out by moving the pan in a slight circular motion to evenly cover the bottom. Cook on low heat for approximately 1 minute, and then flip using a spatula. Cook for 30 seconds and then remove from pan. Slice and set aside. *Note: This is the most basic method for an omelette, other variations include cream/milk and are much more exciting!
6. Add the chopped carrot to pan with the cauliflower. Allow to cook for 2 minutes, tossing every 30 seconds.
7. Throw in the corn and peas and stir.
8. Lastly, add the omelette and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for another minute or so to make sure everything is hot.
9. Spoon into bowls and serve with extra soy sauce! Enjoy this classic favourite the healthiest way possible!
If you’re feeling a bit adventurous, try adding other ingredients to this recipe to make it more interesting! Things I would include next time are; chicken, bacon, spring onions, chili or any other vegetable…