So this brings me to my first recipe – a simple cake that even first time bakers can succeed at. It is super easy and will always be a crowd pleaser because it allows you to switch up ingredients and flavors. I was asked to make this a few weeks ago for a family picnic and have since made it again to take to a friend’s house for a special dinner. It is now saved as a favorite because I am sure I’ll be making it numerous amounts of times.
This cake is moist, fluffy, light and delicious! It’s sweet, tart and nutty all in one! Seriously, something this yum should not be this easy to make!
140g Ground almonds (Almond meal)
140g Butter, softened
140g Golden caster sugar
140g Self-raising flour
1 tsp Vanilla extract
250g Raspberries *
White Chocolate Melts **
2 tbsp Flaked almonds
Icing sugar, for dusting, to serve
*If you don’t like raspberries, you can substitute it for strawberries, blueberries, apples, pears or any other fruit.
** I added the white chocolate into the original recipe, hence no measurement. Just put in as much as you want! You can try it with dark chocolate or milk chocolate!
1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Grease and line with paper a 20cm cake tin. Spring-form cake tins work best for delicate cakes like this one, but anything will do!
3. Blitz the ground almonds, butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract in a food processor until well combined. Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor, a hand mixer works all the same, its just a tiny bit more work!
4. Place half of the mixture in the cake tin and spread out until flat and smooth.
5. Scatter the raspberries and white chocolate over.
6. Place the remaining mixture on top and roughly spread. Don’t worry if it looks messy or like there isn’t enough mixture. I thought the exact same thing, but it turned out fine!
7. Scatter the flaked almonds evenly over the top and bake for 50 minutes, until golden and a skewer comes out clean when poked into the middle.
8. Cool on a baking rack and remove from the tin. Dust with icing sugar.
9. EAT AND ENJOY!