The best part about this recipe is the fact than you can swap ingredients around to make different flavoured bars. So for example, the original recipe called for 1/2 cup of sultanas, however I used 1/2 cup dried cranberries instead!
These are great for a snack on the go or a lunch box treat! Or keep these stashed in your desk draw at work, instead of that mars bar…
– INGREDIENTS –
1/4 cup honey
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup pepita seeds
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 flaked coconut
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
– METHOD –
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter and honey in a small saucepan or in a bowl in a microwave.
3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, dried cranberries, dates, pepitas, almonds, coconut, cinnamon, plain flour and brown sugar. Mix well to distribute the ingredients evenly.
4. Add the melted butter and honey mixture into the oat mixture and combine well.
6. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden.
7. Allow to cool completely before cutting! This is so so so important! I even put the slice in the fridge for an hour to make it really cold. Then, place the slice on a chopping board and slice with a bread knife or a sharp cooks knife into the desired shapes. I made 12 and wrapped them individually in baking paper : )
Other things you can try:
– melting chocolate and drizzling it over the top
– melting chocolate and dipping the bottom half in to coat it