Poaching eggs, is probably the healthiest way to eat eggs. They are the same as hard boiled. No extra fat, milk or cream needed. Eggs are a great source of protein and you can add poached eggs to salads or have them for breakfast. Once you get this, you can make cafe style breakfasts all the time.
– WHAT YOU WILL NEED –
1-2 tablespoons white vinegar
small pot of water
small plate with paper towel on it
– METHOD –
1. Place the pot of water on the stove and add the vinegar. Bring to the boil. The vinegar helps congeal the egg.
2. Once the water boils, bring it down to a simmer (gentle bubbling). Using 1 egg at a time, crack it into a small ramekin and lower it to the surface of the water. Tip the egg slowly into the centre of the pot. If you are feeling more confident you can try cracking the egg straight into the water.
3. Repeat step 2 with the second egg. If the egg whites are spreading, place the slotted spoon in the water and stir gently. Almost like you are making a mini whirlpool. This will help bring the egg white in towards the yolk.
4. Keeping an eye on the eggs, allow them to simmer for 2-4 minutes until the egg white is cooked and the yolk is still runny. To test, gently pick up the egg with the spoon and press the egg whites. If it is firm, they are ready, if not place them back in the water for another minute or so.
5. Once the egg is ready, gently lift the eggs out of the pot 1 by 1 using the slotted spoon and place on the plate with the paper towel. This is to remove excess water. There is nothing worse than putting a watery egg on your toast.
6. Place the egg on your toast or salad and season with salt and pepper.
POACHING EGG FAIL
Miraculously, one time when I worked poaching eggs in a cafe, I somehow half cracked an egg and dropped it in the pot. It ended up poaching itself inside the shell.
See, not every egg is perfect!