Yep! For those that didn’t know already, Weetbix is commonly used in slices, cakes, loafs and even chocolate truffles.
But, it happened again… I got this sudden urge to bake! : )
I didn’t care what it was – Easy, difficult, quick or lengthy, I just needed to cook something! But after a relatvely daggy night at home, I wasn’t up for driving to the supermarket haha, so I set the challenge to bake with what I’ve already got.
If your a typical Aussie family like mine, you will already have Weetbix in your pantry. And if your well stocked up like me, you’ll most likely have all of these ingredients as well!
I haven’t made this slice in ages – Its so quick, easy and incredibly yum. It’s also great for using up the crushed Weetbix at the bottom of the packet, so don’t throw them out!
– INGREDIENTS –
3 crushed Weetbix
115g butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon cocoa
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
Hot water or milk, measuring by consistency
– METHOD –
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius. Grease and line a 30cm x 25cm slice tin with baking paper. Start by melting your butter. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Combine the Weetbix, desiccated coconut, raw sugar, self-raising flour and cocoa in a medium sized bowl.
3. In a small cup, whisk the egg and vanilla together.
4. Pour the melted butter and the egg mixture onto the Weetbix mixture. Stir to combine. *If the mixture is too dry, melt a little bit more butter : )
5. Press mixture into the prepared tray and bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
7. In a bowl, combine the icing sugar, cocoa powder and enough hot water or milk to make a chocolate icing. Pour over the slice and allow to set in the fridge.
8. Cut into pieces : )
Kids love these, just as much as my Dad!