It has to be Banana and Chocolate Muffins
These are the family favourite, and also sell really fast in the cafe at work! After all.. the best kind of muffin is a banana muffin.. but if you add chocolate.. like ALOT of chocolate.. you’re dreaaaaaaaming : )
– INGREDIENTS –
3 – 4 bananas, mushed
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted (or vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ cup flour
1 cup milk or dark chocolate, chopped (preferably 220g block – more is better!)
– METHOD –
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 6 texas muffin pan, or a 12 cupcake pan with patty pans or oil spray. If you don’t large patty pans for the texas muffins, read below to learn how to make them yourself!
2. Mix the mashed bananas, sugar, egg, butter and vanilla essence in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Mix wet ingredients into dry – do not overmix. Add the chocolate.
5. Spoon mixture into pans. You can also place a slice of banana on the top like i have. Be sure to sprinkle it with brown or raw sugar to prevent it from burning. This also gives a nice caramelisation (YUM) Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Test with a skewer as cooking times will vary depending on the size of muffins you make.
!!!HOW TO MAKE LARGE/TEXAS BAKING PAPER CASES!!!
These are really easy. Simply tear out a piece of baking paper, about 12 cm wide. Fold it in half, and cut along that line. There you have two paper cases. Now repeat that another two times to get six. When pressed into the muffin tin fold the ‘natural’ creases it makes, and place your mixture in the middle of it. Now you get cafe style muffins!