I make these Red Velvet Cupcakes regularly in the cafe for work and they sell really well! I have also made these for a wedding, where I supplied over 100 cupcakes in three different flavours. Nothing beats a good cream cheese icing with a velvety textured cake. One tip: Take extra care when putting the food colouring in.. I had red hands for a whole day after making these the first time haha : )
– INGREDIENTS –
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ bottle of pillar box red food colouring
2 ½ cups plain flour, sifted
1 ¾ cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
240gm unsalted butter
250gm cream cheese
4 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
– METHOD –
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, line cupcake tray with patty pans.
2. In a bowl of a mixer, beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, white vinegar, vanilla and red food colouring.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bit by bit. Stir until well combined.
5. Fill the patty pans ¾ way full and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
6. Make icing: Beat the cream cheese and butter together until lumps are removed and smooth. Add the vanilla and beat. Gradually add the icing sugar, adjusting until desired consistency.
7. You can either spread the icing on with a knife, or use a piping bag with a thick nozzle (I use a plain, # 15 nozzle).