I made these cupcakes for a wedding that I catered for, along with my Red Velvet Cupcakes and Mud Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Buttercream. For this cupcake, the chocolate cake is a delicate flavour, allowing the caramel to stand out. I love watching people bite into them to find a surprise caramel surprise centre, and getting creative with the topping whether it be spun toffee or just dusted cocoa. These cupcakes are easy, but come off quite impressive and I recommend giving them a go for someone’s birthday : )
– METHOD –
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon boiling water
2 ¼ cup plain flour, sifted
¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
260gm unsalted butter, room temperature
1 2/3 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ cup sour cream
½ – 1 cup ready made caramel sauce
240gm unsalted butter
250gm cream cheese
½ cup caramel sauce
4 cups icing sugar
sea salt flakes
½ cup water
½ cup caster sugar
cocoa powder, to dust
– METHOD –
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, line cupcake trays.
2. In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and boiling water. Whisk until smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the sifted flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Combine butter and sugar in a saucepan until melted and mixture is smooth. Transfer to kitchen aid (beater) and beat until cooled.
5. Add the eggs, vanilla and cocoa mixture to the cooled butter mixture, beat until smooth.
6. Reduce the mixer to low and add the flour mixture, bit by bit.
7. Add the sour cream, and beat until smooth.
8. Divide into the patty pans and bake for 20 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool completely before hollowing out the middle (be careful to not go all the way through to the bottom of the cupcake).
10. Pipe the ready made caramel sauce into the middle of the cupcakes.
11. Make the icing. Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth and all lumps have been removed. Add the caramel sauce. Reduce speed and bit by bit add the sifted icing sugar. Be sure to get the correct consistency, adding more sugar or more butter/milk. Sprinkle in a good amount of salt.
12. Using a piping bag, pipe icing onto cupcakes. For decoration, dust with cocoa powder or prepare a simple toffee and drizzle over the tops.