Now this recipe is awfully similar to my first post Raspberry, White chocolate and Almond Cake , however this one is larger, and done in a lamington/slice tin. It is done this way purely for the cafe I work in – it makes cute little slices, that would also look great at an afternoon tea. It’s light, fluffy and the mixture of raspberry with white chocolate gives a nice contrast between sweet and sour. It goes perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee… and its my mothers weakness (she has banned me from making it at home haha)
– INGREDIENTS –
300gm butter, softened
300gm caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
300gm almond meal
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
300gm frozen or fresh raspberries (can use blueberries)
Flaked almonds, for the top (can toast them if you like)
Icing sugar, for sprinkling
– METHOD –
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line a 30cm x 20cm lamington tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until thick and pale. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add vanilla essence and milk, beat until combined.
4. Fold in the almond meal and self raising flour. The mixture will not be runny, it will be quite thick. *What i’ve found here is that is better to spread a thin layer of the mixture over the bottom of the pan. Otherwise, the white chocolate will sit on the bottom and make it difficult to get the cake off the paper without ripping some of the cake with it.
5. After you’ve spread a very thin layer of batter over the bottom, fold in the white chocolate chips and raspberries to the remaining mixture. Spoon into the pan and spread flat.
6. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, rotating the tin around half way. A skewer should come out clean when inserted into the cake (not into the white chocolate) and the top should be golden brown and firm to touch.
7. Cool completely in cake pan and then turn out onto a cake rack. If cutting it into individual slices, do so now. It is easier to put all of the cut pieces together and finish the toppings. Sprinkle generously with flaked almonds and dust with icing sugar.
8. Serve with ice-cream, mascarpone, double cream or simply have it by itself : )