This was my first attempt at swirling icing, and although it’s not ammmazing, I’m still pretty pleased! I want to keep practicing and be able to do rainbow cupcakes (check them out here, they are out of this world!!) To think at the start of this year I could barely pipe a cupcake properly!
Some people are hesitant to use coffee in their chocolate cupcake/cake recipes as they fear it might make the batter taste like coffee. This isn’t the case. Often, you can’t even taste it in the slightest!
Coffee is used to create a rich and moist cake as it compliments the cocoa powder and brings out the chocolate flavor. Yum.
And you can never fail with a cream cheese icing. It’s delicious on anything.
– INGREDIENTS – Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1 3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (alternatively, I used I cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup of hot coffee (as I was in a cafe, I asked the barista to pour two shots of coffee and fill the rest up with hot water. You can use 2 tablespoons of instant coffee in 1 cup of boiling water as well).
For the Icing:
2 x 250 gm packet cream cheese
2 x 1/4 cup butter, softened
2 x 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
6-7 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
– METHOD –
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius and line two 12 cupcake trays with patty pans.
2. In a bowl of a mixer combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
3. Add the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla and beat until smooth and well incorporated. Remove from the mixer and stir in the hot coffee.
4. Pour the batter into a large measuring/pouring jug (if you have one). This makes dividing the batter into the patty pans easier.
5. Dive the batter amongst the patty pans filling only two-thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Allow to cool before frosting.
6. Make the icing in two separate batches. We want a vanilla cream cheese icing and a chocolate cream cheese icing.
7. Using one of the 250g packets of cream cheese and one of the 1/4 cups of butter, beat them together in a bowl of a mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and beat again. Add 3-3.5 cups of icing sugar and beat until a thick icing results. You need it to be thick for piping. Now you have your vanilla icing!
8. Make the chocolate icing by repeating the process above. After adding the icing sugar, add 1/2 cup or cocoa powder and beat until a thick icing results.
9. Using a large piping bag and a star nozzle carefully place the vanilla icing on one side of the bag. Then carefully place the chocolate icing on the other side. This is quite tricky, but a simple Google or YouTube search will show you how its done! Smooth the icing down the piping bag, you may need to do a few practice pipes until both colors show up in the swirl : ) And then pipe your cupcakes!