And what’s even better is when you find a bag of walnuts in your pantry which you didn’t know you had! Well, thats until mum tells me she needed the walnuts for dinner that night…
But she enjoyed the banana bread, so I guess I’m forgiven : )
I’m forever on the search for the best banana bread. Dense, moist, flavoursome with a perfect crust!
I’ve tried many different recipes, but I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one. I have a few banana bread recipes.. one that’s more fluffy and coconutty, one that is dense with walnuts and one with dates!
But this one.. seems to be the one that cooks best for me : )
– INGREDIENTS –
2 1/4 cups plain flour, sifted
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (can use canola oil, coconut oil or light olive oil)
3 eggs, lightly whisked
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1 banana, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon honey
raw sugar (for sprinkling)
– METHOD –
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Spray and line a 7cm deep 10 x 20cm loaf pan with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, coconut and walnuts.
3. Add the sugar and make a well in the centre.
4. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and drizzle with honey. Add the oil, eggs, vanilla and milk. Combine well.
5. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well incorporated. Pour into the prepared loaf tin.
6. Lay the sliced banana over the top of the loaf. Sprinkle with raw sugar to prevent the bananas from browning too much and to help give the bread a good crust.
7. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Depending on your oven, your banana bread may take a little longer. Just keep an eye on it (checking every 5 mins when it looks like its almost ready) until the skewer comes out clean or with crumbs clinging to it.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. Turn out onto wire rack and slice!